When investing money in start-ups, investors should have an idea of the monetization mechanisms included in the project. There are many examples where well-known platforms were unable to generate meaningful revenues and were forced to close or sell at a large loss. Therefore, when starting your digital business project or investing money in it, you should have a clear idea of the likelihood of its monetization. And no less important is the question of when to start it.
Complexity of Competition in the Digital Space
Doing business on the Internet has its characteristics that distinguish it from offline business practices. In physical reality, it is difficult to imagine a situation where a person comes to a market and has a choice between paid and free products. Any product is paid for, and the only question is the price difference. In digital reality, many business projects are forced to compete with free analogs. Free services (for example, software, marketplaces, audio platforms, etc.) can exist for several reasons:
- These services can be created by enthusiastic developers who strive to spread advanced technologies rather than make a profit.
- They can be by-products of companies that offer paid services as well. In this case, they attract consumers with free services to sell them the paid ones in a related field.
Why Do You Need to Monetize Your Digital Product?
In these complex conditions of competition, many creators of digital products are hesitant to move on to monetizing them. They assume that the result obtained will not be worth the effort. However, monetizing a digital product is a very good option for generating additional profit, even if you do not plan to make a serious business out of it.
Today, many people are looking for additional sources of income, trying to compensate for the challenges of the economic crisis and rising inflation. Of course, if they don’t have enough salary, they can apply for a loan at Payday Depot and get it on favorable terms by comparing prices from different lenders. But if you have certain hobbies or talents that can be monetized, it’s worth considering this option.
What Can Be Monetized in the Digital Space?
Any professional expertise can find its ways of monetization:
- Developers of games or apps that make them available online for free may choose to charge a certain fee.
- Photographers can post their photos on platforms that charge a download fee.
- Any specialists — lawyers, cosmetologists, doctors, etc. — who maintain advisory blogs can monetize part of their content.
No matter what talents or professional skills you have, you can find forms of monetization that will help you generate a passive source of income.
When to Start Monetization
There are two main approaches to commercializing digital products:
- Approach # 1. You introduce a new product to the market, which is paid for from the very beginning. During the promotional phase, companies usually offer a lower usage fee, but it will increase later on. For example, this could be paid software, a music album, or a book available for download for a certain price, etc.
- Approach # 2. You enter the market for free, but after reaching a certain subscriber base, you begin to introduce monetization mechanisms. For example, this could be providing certain content via subscription, placing advertisements on your platform, participating in affiliate marketing, etc.
Each of these approaches has its advantages, and the choice depends on the nature of your digital product or services, your business plan, etc.
- If you are going into a niche with low competition, monetization can be applied from the very beginning.
- If you are entering a highly competitive market, you first need to create a loyal customer base. And even after you create it, there is no guarantee that after implementing a subscription or actively using advertising on the platform, you will not experience churn. Therefore, in the second case, monetization should take place very gradually and be accompanied by constant measurements of the audience’s reaction to your actions.
You can also experiment with how much commercial content you offer your followers. Find the perfect balance and make your online activities profitable!