The J. Reuben Long Detention Center, located in Horry County, South Carolina, plays a crucial role in the criminal justice system. This state-of-the-art facility serves as a detention center for individuals awaiting trial or serving sentences for various offenses. In this comprehensive guide, we will delve into the details of the J. Reuben Long Detention Center, including its history, facilities, management, and important information for visitors.
The J. Reuben Long Detention Center, named after a prominent local attorney, has a rich history dating back to its establishment in [year of establishment]. Over the years, it has undergone several renovations and expansions to meet the growing demands of the region’s criminal justice system. Today, it stands as a modern and well-equipped detention facility.
1. Housing Units
- The center houses inmates in different units, each designed to meet specific security and classification needs.
- These units include general population, maximum security, and special management units.
- Inmates are placed in the appropriate unit based on their behavior and the severity of their charges.
2. Medical Services
- The J. Reuben Long Detention Center prioritizes the health and well-being of inmates.
- It has a dedicated medical unit staffed with healthcare professionals to provide medical care, including routine check-ups and emergency services.
3. Rehabilitation Programs
- The facility offers various rehabilitation programs to help inmates reintegrate into society successfully.
- These programs include educational classes, vocational training, and counseling services.
- Family and friends can visit inmates at scheduled times.
- It’s essential to check the official website for visitation rules and guidelines, including dress code and prohibited items.
1. Sheriff’s Office
- The J. Reuben Long Detention Center operates under the Horry County Sheriff’s Office.
- The sheriff’s office is responsible for the overall management and security of the facility.
2. Corrections Officers
- Highly trained corrections officers staff the facility 24/7.
- They ensure the safety of both inmates and staff while maintaining order and security within the center.
3. Administrative Staff
- Administrative personnel manage various aspects of the facility, including inmate records, visitation scheduling, and inmate release procedures.
Important Information for Visitors
Visiting an inmate at the J. Reuben Long Detention Center requires careful planning and adherence to specific rules and guidelines. Here’s what you need to know:
1. Visitation Schedule
- Visitation hours and days may vary based on the inmate’s housing unit.
- Check the official website for the most up-to-date visitation schedules.
2. Dress Code
- Visitors must adhere to a strict dress code, typically prohibiting revealing clothing and certain accessories.
- Failure to comply with the dress code can result in denied visitation.
- All visitors must provide valid government-issued photo identification for entry.
4. Prohibited Items
- Visitors are not allowed to bring personal items, including cell phones, into the facility.
- Lockers are available for storing belongings during visits.
- Visitors are expected to behave respectfully and follow all staff instructions during their visit.
- Any disruptive behavior may result in the termination of the visit.
The J. Reuben Long Detention Center serves as an essential component of the criminal justice system in Horry County, South Carolina. It provides safe and secure housing for individuals awaiting trial or serving sentences. With its commitment to rehabilitation and inmate well-being, as well as its dedication to maintaining order and security, the center plays a crucial role in the community. If you plan to visit an inmate at the J. Reuben Long Detention Center, make sure to familiarize yourself with the rules and guidelines to ensure a smooth and stress-free visit.